Friday 9 February 2007

you've all heard of Gsport yeah?

ok, so on this BMX site called www.bikeguide.org ..theres been a bit of a debate ( aka slaging match) between G, the head/owner of Gsport,( although I think their mostly owned by odyssey now?) and disgruntalled 'customers'. this seems to do with mainley products produced under the odyssey logo but designed by G.....

G really should learn how to deal with people better, I mean to quote him..." my designs & products pay my mortgage"


http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100659 this is the best ( in my opinon) thread..



and I found this pure entertainment...




Quote:

So I design cranks that only fit 70% or so of sprockets and get a slagging.Wheras these companies like Profile, Tree, Fly etc, make a sprocket that only fits 20% (at a guess) of cranks (without a shitty spacer) and no one says anything against it?

Key thing being that they don't say anything about it because they DO fit, even if you have to use "a shitty spacer"? For most people, if their new sprocket can go on their bike, they're fine. Sprocket spacers aren't the biggest problem you face on a BMX, nor are they an insurrmountable problem, so as a result most people don't have a problem with running one. Notice how people got by for many years before the introduction of Wombolts? Either way, I know you're not a stupid person and you'll know full well why people don't complain in the manner you suggested in your post, so I'll not waste my time by elaborating more.

Quote:

If we go with 22mm then the sprocket is STILL going to wobble about and give uneven chain tension. The "integrated adaptor" is about the only way to counter this. It allows us to have a really nice tight fit without the rider having to hammer the sprocket ALL the way down the axle which would ruin the fit even more....


I had fine chain tension with no sprocket wobble, and without having to hammer on my Profile Imperial sprocket onto my Primo Hollowbites. 22mm spindle and a 22mm sprocket worked out fine for me. No doubt someone will chime in with some horrifying experience about how using a 22mm sprocket on a 22mm spindle gave them lung cancer or something, but from my point of view it works perfectly well enough. The only time I've had a problem with running a sprocket was using a piece of shit top-hat spacer that wasn't worth the money it was made of. With my Mankind sprocket that had a good spacer with it, it worked fine. With a decent spacer, my current United sprocket is fine. With a decent spacer, my brother's Superstar sprocket is fine.

Quote:

The fact is that MOST sprockets are made to piss poor tolerances anyway.

Any chance of specifics here, G? Not that I'm saying that the usual generalisations used on here aren't really insightful 'n' stuff, but it might be nice to know what you consider to be made to "piss poor" tolerances? All the sprockets I've seen and have measured seem to be pretty good these days, in that sprocket manufacture is better than it's ever been.

Quote:

For example 1" would be a good size. We could use 25mm bb bearings and reduce the weight of everything without any loss in strength. Wheras going to 22mm would make it heavier AND weaker....

Are you honestly trying to say that using bearings that are smaller (in that you're increasing the inside diameter of them, but retaining the same outer diameter, unless you're planning on introducing a new BB size that's larger, just to accomodate some cranks...) makes things stronger?

Quote:

If they are using a non-standard hole (liek 22mm) then in my opinion it is THEIR job to make that clear and justify the change.


Cranks (apart from Wombolts) use either a 22mm spindle or a 19mm spindle. By making their sprocket 22mm, it means that half (or whatever the percentage of people is) won't have to use a spacer, and they can supply a well-made spacer for those running 19mm. They've made sprockets that work for the current cranks out there, and from my experience and from other riders I know, they work fine. I'm not saying the Wombolts are shit cranks or anything, before I get a knee-jerk, stereotypical Bikeguide reply of "LISTEN TO G" or some shit along those lines. I don't personally like them, but that's due to other reasons than sprocket sizes.

Quote:

Seriously what is it with fuckwits that cant make these distinctions?


Much appreciated there George, always nice to know what company owners are like. Interesting to note when I used similar terms with someone before, I got a threatening post saying I'd be banned if I ever did it again, and I've seen other people suspended for less, especially with how ridiculously anal about some stuff moderators are on here.

Quote:

I see Grant Smith implying I am a hypocrit, (for setting the record straight about Taiwan), while trying to jam his nose up Chris Moellers arsehole in this month's Ride UK, because he cant distinguish between me slagging shoddy early 90's taiwan made forks and Magoo accusing them of human rights abuses, while buying from there....


Perhaps he was implying more about the way that you used to seem to have an anti-Taiwanese slant to your advertising (going on about being made in Sheffield, and so on...), then happily jumped into Taiwanese manufacture with Odyssey? I've never had a problem throughout my riding life of using Taiwanese products, so don't start "fuckwitting" me again and try and set me straight, I'm just putting across what my interpretation of the article was. This isn't a personal attack on you G, because the Ride articles you do on setup and BMX related stuff are generally good, but it just seems when you're defending your products you seem to not actually be the same person, at all.


rip'd from BG ...

BTW... something not many of you may know, but.. alot of 'Gsport' products, are BAD copies of someones else's work/designs, & most of his 'own' designs are evident when you see them (nimrod forks, wonder bars, custom frames)

here, I believe are some of the true innovators (to which he copyied from)

P.E. hubs
bizhouse
& me, (6-7yrs ago I had a 2hr phone converstation with him about a duel cable system from the lever to the top gyro, only to read that 'HE came up with the idea' ) ....

There are more, some bmx, some mtb ( new 'wave' down tube tech on sundays)..but I think the point is made!

1 comment:

  1. hey kinda see that I was bigging myself as a true innovator... to which I confess I'm not, just got carryed away in the moment...

    also a point missed was that although very arrigant, G is also quite clever!
    and I guess loves BMX as much as most of us!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.