Wednesday 16 August 2006

Jam write up...

Upon going online today, I got a mail from Ian asking for a bit of a write up on here on the jam...so here goes i guess!
The day for me kicked off getting up at an hour I previously was unaware existed to help Ray take some stuff down the park. We stealthed it in with Rays illegitemate key that he had 'aquirred' from somewhere...once all the cars were unloaded we hastily departed, and I went home for an hour or two of kip.
On returning to the park, I was greeted by a great amount of riders already gathered eagerly. Once the PA was sorted with a cable I got from a man about a dog, the youngest age group kicked off. I can't really remember what went down, but I'm sure some good stuff happened, fair play boys...
This was (i think...) followed by skateboard. Always amazing to watch, the highlights were Vinny and Beanie getting some pretty dope stuff done, as was Johnny killing himself as usual. I don't know the names of the trickery that went down, but I do know hes nuts on a plank, deservedly winning himself a much needed new deck courtesy of SS20 in Oxford.
Following this the day started to hot up, figuratively and literally...the next event was highest bunnyhop. With a large amount of entries, this was sure to be good. I myself was the first out unable to make 6", but hopefully I'll practice for next year. The majority of people were still in at 15 or 20", but after this the competition was soon broken down into a smaller and smaller group, until Team Halfords of Brackley, Craig Gorilla and Lewis Domino were left as the last pair. Both clearing 32", neither could make 34, and after several tries each it was left to a crowd decision. Obviously, Lewis took a clear win with no one wanting that bowlegged tailwhip kid to win anything.
I saw the mic on the side and made an impromptu anouncement for a best tabletop comptetition. It wasn't proper, but was pretty cool watching loads of people hitting the box and doing loads of tables, some proper good ones went down, best trick ever.
After this we moved into the second highlight for me, the long jump comp. Simply drop in, pedal like a AA pro, and huck off a 2 foot high kicker as far as you could was the game. All sorts of madness went down including loop out to bike throws, sideways high speed skid crahses, over the handle bananas and more. In the end Eddy chaffes first jump took the win, a good 20' or so. I don't know how he does it, I couldn't make within 2' of there. Go race MTB's boys and you might be as good a rider as Chaffe one day if you're lucky.
At some point which i can't remember when, ameteur happened. Highlights included Rorys supermen and whips, Richy P's transfers, Gunnys tables, turndowns and general flow, Gilroys 540 air and 3 fakies, Gregg trying to go spine to box deck to 180 onto the grass(!) and a bunch of stuff I can't remember. Don't know who won either, sorry, too much landing on my head lately i guess combined with with my apparent ADHD. STOP PRESS: Greg, Rory, Rich 1 2 3 I'm told.
Finally, the pro comp. I obviously entered this being very pro. Me, Ollie and Chaffe started this part with Chaffe doing lods of nice transfers (whilst pissed), some big double cans, no foot X's and tables, and me and Ollie doing tables and turndowns I think.
I can't remember who else rode with who, so heres a few highlights...

  • John: Big transfer, huge airs and a few flips which were nuts.
  • Lewis: Huge table airs and lots of flow.
  • Craig: Backboard wallrides on the mini, 360 whip, turndown airs, whip to disaster, spine twists on both spines, etc etc...
  • Casper: 360 whips the nicest i've ever seen, 3 from spine to box landing (nuts), huge airs, tricks from tranny to tranny transfers, usual dope style, twists everywhere.
  • Stratford crew: Loads of good stuff, 270 to smith, icepicks on sub, handplants on spine, whips, tricks in 3's, etc etc.
  • Melon: Going nuts, crashing dropping in!
  • Crazy Pete: Didn't enter, but best tables ever.

In the end, John won, with Craig and Chaffe second, and Casper third (so I'm told).
The comp was followed with loads of beers and getting proper wellied, which was a treat. Big shout to Ray for sorting shit out, all the prize givers, MC Munter for keeping it real on the mic, Josh for the tunes all day and his mate for the cables needed, teenage girls for sitting on the grass, Boozies for selling cheap beers and Bicycle Union for making 'EAT SHIT' stickers.
All in all, a much better day than I had expected, fully enjoyed by everyone I hope I know i did.

2 comments:

  1. dunno what was better your write up or the actual day..... I can see that all that uni shit might be paying off ...... still think you'll end up working at mcdonalds tho!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT write up there doood!!! brings back good vibes about Banbury Jams of olde & had me smiling all the way :D

    Totally pissed that I missed it now, well there's always next year...

    Some thought given to future jam events...

    Highjump off a kicker/jumpbox
    1st prize= CD of Doctor & the Medics 'Spirit in the sky'

    Most people on a BMX?
    1st prize= ratification by Norris Mcwhirter & the Guiness world record team

    Best trick on a 16" pit-bike?
    1st prize= A signed photo of Verne 'mini-me' Troyer

    Best crash?
    1st prize= packet of elastoplast & a tube of savlon

    Most Vanderolls in a row?
    <1st prize= Packet of extra strength headache tablets

    Longest wheelie without a front wheel?
    1st prize= JT mouthtrap/free dental work


    ... back to reality, if anyone has anymore fotos from the jam (no matter how incriminating) we'd love to see them ;-)

    thanks Chaz

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.