Sunday 25 June 2006

simple brake mod














here is my little brake mod which has removed nearly all spongy'ness from my brake....


step 1: pull your lever and measure across the straddle cable next to the hanger

















step2: take an old spoke and cut it to the required length+ 20mm

step 3: bend a hook at both ends so your left with your required length on the inside of the hooks

step 4: slide on to your staddle and push it up to the hanger................















and there you have it, simple yet effective mod

3 comments:

  1. I saw someone use spokes as their lower stadle cable. You can use the hook end to connect them to the hanger and then just use the pinch bolts on the brake to clamp the other end. It takes out all the spring in the cable and also any stretch. I have wanted to look more into this but have never got round to it

    ReplyDelete
  2. not to sure, but I think that may have been me as i've not long swaped from that system, I used the centre part of a primo pervert(anyone remember those?) and drilled out some fly brake nipples, it worked ok but drove me mad by clanging on the frame all the time! this mod i'm using at the mo works just as good and no irritating noise...... I have thought of using some stainless steel tig welding rod for the stradle cable but as of yet I haven't got round to it, anyone else got any idea's no how to improve brakes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Ray! the simple ones are often the best ;-) & seeing this on Saturday, I have to say, it does work a treat...

    I'll let you have the welding rod soon so you can test your theory...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.