Wednesday 6 July 2011

Sustrans Route 4 - The Celtic Trail - South Wales: Day 1

Fishguard - Solva

I had been planning this trip for some months & was originally going to do this tour of South Wales with my brother. As it panned out I did it solo & I'm kind of glad I did as it turned out to be a difficult ride in places & my bro isn't an experienced cyclist. I caught a train to Fishguard which was a bit of a drag (2 changes) with a loaded cycle & as soon as I arrived at Fishguard Harbour around 1pm, I was into the toilets to change into my riding gear & then hit the road. Having the maps (West & East) & the guide book for the ride is advisable although the route is well sign posted, it's easy to get it wrong if you're not paying close attention in places.

The weather was pretty poor, damp & a head wind but being fresh on my tour I was still enjoying the wild scenery & lovely coves I rolled down into & climbed back out of. I passed a bunch of MTB'ers riding the opposite direction & they gave shouts of approval for my loaded pack horse! The hills were pretty severe in places & I had to push up a couple of very steep ones. After having reached St Davids & checking out the Cathedral, I figured it was time to locate a suitable camp site & get sorted for the evening. I came off route & headed for Nine Wells camp site indicated on the map near Solva. Pitched up the tent in the fine misty rain & showered, cooked some pasta & chicken & got my head down for the night...

Distance = 26.49 miles
Riding time = 3h 25m


Fishguard Harbour






Abercastle






St David's Cathedral (with scaffolding)


My humble abode

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.