Wednesday 6 July 2011

Sustrans Route 4 - The Celtic Trail - South Wales: Day 2

Solva - Manorbier

Woke up around 6:30am & hadn't slept very well, I think the excitement of the trip had me tossing & turning all night! The weather had come out to play & what appeared top be a misty field on nowhere hill last night, turned out to have a rather nice sea view this morning.



Had my porridge & packed up my gear for my 1st full days riding & took the main A road into Solva to get back onto Sustrans route 4. I had to stop after a short while to get some sun lotion on as the temps were rising rapidly as the sun was heating things up a treat.



The route was very hilly again & having not recovered so well due to lack of sleep, I was finding it hard work. I rolled down the hill into Newgale where I'd surfed when I was about 10 years old on a Family holiday.


Descent into Newgale


Beginning the long climb out of Newgale

Upon reaching Broad Haven I was feeling ropey so stopped into the convenience store on the seafront to stock up with water, banana's & snacks to get me going again.



Moving inland towards Haverfordwest the route evened out a little & I plodded along pretty country lanes & cycle paths, stopping to grab some shade in a field & to scoff a pastie. Whilst riding towards Pembroke I sensed someone on a cycle right behind me & turned to see another touring rig draw up beside me. Scott, from Kidwelly, was on a 3 day tour of the Preseli hills on route 47 & back via route 4 from Fishguard. We rode together & chatted & followed the route into Pembroke where we stopped off @ the 'golden arches' for some much needed sustenance.


Pembroke marina


Pembroke Dock


Pembroke Castle

From Pembroke Scott suggested camping at the YHA in Manorbier so we came off route & located the YHA in a lovely location near the sea. There was a bunch of schoolkids on a trip staying at the site but we were OK to camp at the bottom of their field & use the facilities. We set up camp & showered & decided to walk into the village to get some pub grub for the evening. We stored the bikes in the YHA's bike lock up & walked up the hill & blagged a lift to the main road by some military personnel from the base nearby. The village was peaceful & pretty & the pie & chips in the pub went down a treat as we discussed touring, bikes, camping gear etc. Got back to camp & got our heads down for another day in the saddle tomorrow...



Distance = 40.19 miles
Riding time = 4h 52m

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.